Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Andrés Lucero. 2019. On the Internet, Nobody Knows You’re a Dog… Unless You’re Another Dog. In 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems Proceedings (CHI 2019), May 4–9, 2019, Glasgow, Scotland, UK. ACM, New York, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.1145/3290605.3300347 [PDF] [YouTube of the talk]
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas. 2018. Dog Computer Interaction – Methods and Findings for
Understanding how Dogs’ Interact with Screens and Media. Submitted as part of a Doctorate in Philosophy (PhD). University of Central Lancashire.
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Vilma Kankaanpä, 2021. Exploring How White-Faced Sakis Control Digital Visual Enrichment Systems. Animals. [Publication coming February 2021]
Roosa Piitulainen and Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas. 2020. Music for Monkeys: Building Methods to Design with White-Faced Sakis for Animal-Driven Audio Enrichment Devices. Animals. 10(10):1768. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani10101768 [PDF]
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Janet C. Read. 2018. DoggyVision: Examining how Dogs (Canis familiaris) Interact with Media using a Dog-Driven Proximity Tracker Device. Journal of Animal Behaviour and Cognition. 5(4), 388-405.
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Patricia Pons, Janet C. Read, and Javier Jaen. 2018. Seven Years after the Manifesto: Literature Review and Research Directions for Technologies in Animal Computer Interaction. Multimodal Technologies and Interaction, 2(2), p.30.
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Janet C. Read and Brendan Cassidy. 2017. A dog centred approach to the analysis of dogs’ interactions with media on TV screens. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. Special Issue: Animal Computer Interaction. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2016.05.007 [PDF]
Andrés Lucero (ed.), Maria Karyda (ed.), Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Oldouz Moslemian (ed.). 2018. Proceedings of SIDeR ‘18: 14th Student Interaction Design Research Conference. Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture. 166 p. [PDF]
Mikko Kytö, Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and David McGookin. 2021. From Strangers to Friends: Augmenting Face-to-face Interactions with Faceted Digital Self-Presentations. In International Conference on Augmenting Humans. [Publication coming February 2021]
Felix Anand Epp, Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Maria Karyda, David McGookin, and Andrés Lucero. 2020. Collocated Sharing of Presentations of Self in Public Settings. In 19th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 191–200. https://doi.org/10.1145/3428361.3428380 [PDF]
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Roosa Piitulainen. 2020. Developing Zoo Technology Requirements for White- Faced Saki Monkeys. In Proceedings of the International Conference of Animal-Computer Interaction (ACI’20). https://doi.org/10.1145/3446002.3446123 [PDF]
Felix Anand Epp, Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Andrés Lucero, and Tapio Takala. 2020. Identity through Social Wearables: Designing with Finnish University Students. Proceedings of the 11th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Shaping Experiences, Shaping Society. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 44, 1-11. https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3419249.3420137 [PDF]
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Mikko Kytö and David McGookin. 2019. Head-mounted Displays, Smartphones, or Smartwatches? – Augmenting Conversations with Digital Representation of Self. In Proceedings of the 22nd ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing. CSCW ’19. ACM, New York, NY, USA. https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3359281 [PDF]
Ole Goethe, Kavous Salehzadeh Niksirat, Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Huatong Sun, Effie L-C Law, Xiangshi Ren. 2019. From UX to Engagement: Connecting Theory and Practice, Addressing Ethics and Diversity. In 2019 Conference of Human-Computer Interaction Interaction (HCII). Orlando, Florida, US. 26- 31 July 2019. Springer. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-23560-4_7 [PDF]
Viet Ba Hirvola, Shen Yin-Chiung and Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas. 2019. EyeR: Detection Support for Visually Impaired Users. Extended Abstract In 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems Proceedings (CHI 2019), May 4–9, 2019, Glasgow, Scotland, UK. ACM, New York, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.1145/3290607.3313044 [PDF]
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Janet C. Read and Matthew Horton. 2017. Animal Personas: Representing Dog Stakeholders in Interaction Design. In British Human-Computer Interaction proceedings, 3-6 July, 2017, Sunderland, UK. ACM, New York, NY, USA.
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Janet C. Read. 2016. Using Behavioural Information to Help Owners Gather Requirements from their Dogs’s Responses to Media Technology. In Proceedings of the 30th International BCS Human Computer Interaction Conference: Fusion! (HCI ’16). BCS Learning & Development Ltd., Swindon, UK, Article 42, 13 pages. https://doi.org/10.14236/ewic/HCI2016.42 [PDF]
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Janet C. Read. 2014. Who Is Really In The Center Of Dog Computer Design?. In Proceedings of the 2014 Workshops on Advances in Computer Entertainment Conference (ACE ’14 Workshops). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 2, 5 pages.
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Anna Kantosalo, Andrés Monroy-Hernández, Joelle Zimmermann, Michael Nebling, Mar Gonzalez-Franco. 2020. Social AR: Reimagining and Interrogating the Role of Augmented Reality in Face to Face Social Interactions. In Workshop Proceedings of the 23rd ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing. CSCW ’20. ACM, New York, NY, USA. https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3406865.3418585 [Website] [PDF]
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Janet C. Read, Oskar Juhlin, Heli Väätäjä, Patricia Pons, and Svein-Olaf Hvasshovd. 2016. Where HCI meets ACI. In Proceedings of the 9th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI ’16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 136, 3 pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/2971485.2987675 [PDF] [Website]
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Janet C. Read. 2016. Ethics of How to Work with Dogs in Animal Computer Interaction. In Proceedings of the 2016 Workshops on Measuring Behaviour (MB’16).
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Janet C. Read and Brendan Cassidy. 2015. Doggy Ladder of Participation. British Human-Computer Interaction (BHCI). Animal Computer Interaction Workshop.
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Luo Huailan and Janet C. Read. 2014. Is my dog watching TV? Proceedings of the 7th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI ’16). ACM, New York, NY, USA. [PDF]
WORKSHOPS AND TALKS
- Animal Computer Interaction Panel. Bristol University for their HCI Department. February 2021. Virtual.
- UXPA 2020. Talk on Animal-Computer Interaction for the series: Seeing HCI through a different lense. October 2020. Virtual.
- Animal Participation, Consent & Empowerment within Technology Systems. Finnish Seminar for Human Animal Studies. Organised with Heli Väätäjä. April 2019. Helsinki, FI.
- Designing for Animals: Defining “Participation” in Animal-Computer Interaction – Annual Animal Computer Interaction Conference. Organised with Charlotte Robinson and Patricia Pons. December 2018. Atlanta, USA.
- Designing Technology for Dog to Dog Interaction – SIDeR Conference. Organised with Andres Lucero. May 2018. Helsinki, FI.
- Designing Technology for Dogs: A Workshop to Empower your Pooch – University of Boulder, Colorado. Organised with Ben Shapiro. April 2017. Colorado, USA.
- ACI at Measuring Behaviour. Organised with Anton Nijholt, Patricia Pons and Adrian David Cheok. May 2016. Dublin, Ireland. [PDF]
- ACI@BHCI. Animal Computer Interaction @ British Human Computer Interaction. Organised with Charlotte Robinson, Clara Mancini, Ben Kirman and Shaun Lawson. July 2015. Lincon, UK.
- UXPA. Talk on designing for non-verbal users in relation to gathering requirements for dog users. February 2016. London, UK.
- Interviewed and quoted in New Scientist on Dogs and AI. January 2021.
- My research on audio systems for white faced sakis reported in international media including The Guardian, Sky News, Science Alert, CBBC, etc.
- Recruited by Wagg design a dog TV remote for dogglebox which was reported in the Daily Mail, Mirror and Daily Star and online media in Huffington Post, Yahoo News, Digital Spy, Broadcaster Magazine, etc.
- Spoke on BBC1 Radio about my research and women in technology representing W-ACM (Women in ACM).
- Interviewed on BBC Radio Lancashire about my research on 7th July 2016.
Please contact me if you would like talk about any of my work.